Thursday, April 30, 2009

Does Anyone Know?

Ok, on a scale of 1-10 for importance, this is a negative -5......BUT.......does anyone know what causes random "grease" stains on clothes???


I've noticed for a while that, AFTER washing clothes, there will be a random stain that never comes off.  Initially, it just looks like there's a wet spot......but it's actually not wet at all and I can't get it out.  It's always a circle....like a spot of water....and ranges from about the size of a penny to the size of a quarter.  My washer & dryer are pretty new (3 1/2 yrs) and I primarily use powder detergent over the liquid.  I stopped using the "downey ball" because I thought that's what was causing it and I also stopped using dryer sheets in case that was it.  But it still happens!  And it's not every load or every item.....just a shirt or  pair of shorts now and then.  But of course, the stain shows up in a spot where it's noticeable and I end up making those items "play clothes."  I thought I was going crazy, but then John commented that he noticed it on clothes too.

Any ideas?????

8 comments:

The Parsons' blog said...

We get them too. I do think it's grease, whether from greasy fingers or what, I'm not sure. The trick to getting them out is Shout (or I'd assume spray and wash would work too). Even after I wash and dry it, if I notice there is a spot after coming out of the dryer, I'll spray shout on it and rewash and it usually will be gone. You're not the only one! :)

Renelle Davis said...

I think it's probably fabric softener...I used to get that too.

Rebecca Parsons said...

We get those too! I have a whole pile of clothes I'm trying to think of a way to dye them or something- I guess its worth a try to "shout" them one more time. :)

The Parsons' blog said...

I also forgot to mention, I only wash my clothes in warm or hot - none of that cold business. That seems to help out that little situation too.

Kim Givens said...

That happens to me too...so annoying. I'm glad you asked the question, I'm reading the comments for help too!

Aaron and Joy Edewards said...

I have no clue what that may be but don't make them all play clothes without trying Spray and Wash Stain Stick. It works wonders on oil/grease spots. You just put it on and then let it set in the laundry until you wash. It has saved many a piece of clothing from the play clothes or Goodwill bin.

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Hmm...I don't have a problem with that unless I get grease on my clothes outside of the washer/dryer. I use both liquid and powder detergent and regular dryer balls but no dryer sheets or fabric softener.

If I do get grease on my clothes, I soak the spot overnight in dish washing soap. This usually is strong enough to break down the grease so when i wash it, the stain comes out. I always let it air dry after washing to check to see if it came out. If it didn't I repeat the dish soap and wash. I can almost always get grease stains out this way. Hope it helps. I'm not 100% sure, but I think sometimes it works even after the clothing has gone through the dryer. Don't quote me on that though.

emily said...

Julie!!!!!
Somehow I lost your email address when it came through on your comment- so this is my only way to contact you.
email me: emilylyc@earthlink.net and we can catch up!!!
:)